A Blog is like a Garden.
This analogy was realised to me in the shower tonight. It’s very very apt.
- You get what you put in.It’s hard work, especially at the beginning, but always. You have to plant the seeds, water and nourish them, weed, watch for scavengers, and then there’s the competitions.
- Some Gardens look nicer than others.This can be for many reasons. Your content might have been just the web needed at the time. You might have hit the goldmine, finding a nook that everyone actually wants. And like a garden, you might just have the magic touch.
- There isn’t a single right method.Methodology is important, but there are so many different paths to take. Writing style of blog, content, look’n’feel.
- Single Vegetables and Everything.Some blogs, like Dev Dawn only grow tomatoes. Now tomatoes are fine for us, that’s the purpose of this blog … but others grow everything, and they do it well.
- However, some don’t … do it that well. Just like gardening, it’s a mix. Some people don’t have to put much to reap a massive harvest. They might have already put years of work into the blog, or they might have just stumbled across something special. Others put a lot of work into their blog, for not much return. I guess to we have to quantify "Return". Some people don’t blog for the adulation of the masses.
Deep down, most of us would be chuffed to break through in terms of readership. To know that people are reading and taking in what we are saying. That our opinions are important.
But more than that, I want to have a garden that looks good, and that actually holds substance. Even though it might only be tomatoes, they’re gonna be the best tomatoes around.
‘Nuff said for the moment.